Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Yoga = Sanskrit for "Life-Changing" - Part 1

Four years ago, in 2009, I was working in a high-stress position as a Project Manager for a CRO. I was spending long hours at the office, managing multiple projects, and overseeing millions of dollars in budgets. In addition to my full-time job, I was also working a few nights a week at Better Bodies. I taught spinning classes and Marty and I team-taught a fitness class that involved intervals, spinning, cardio, stations, and weights. We had a big following. I loved it not only for the physical benefits but also for the creative outlet. The free gym membership was an added bonus. I had no patient contact at that time, and I found myself craving something new, something medical, something I had tossed around for a long time. So I signed up to become an EMT. 

Now, to be honest, at that time I really had no idea what was involved in becoming an EMT. I mean, I knew there were lights and sirens, but beyond that I had absolutely no clue how it all worked. I didn't know any EMTs. I didn't even know the difference between an EMT-B and a Paramedic. I've been through some rigorous educational programs before, and I have a medical background, so I figured how hard could this course be. (Note to self - Every time I've asked that question in life, I've gotten burned. I need to stop asking that). Anyway, the tuition was cheap (only $235 plus books and uniforms),  it was 3 hours/per night for two nights/week, and it was close to home. Yes, I was going to have to stop teaching at the gym for the 7 months of schooling, but I was ok with that. For some reason, I had an overwhelming need and desire to do take this course. So I bought the cool boots and the navy blue cargo pants and off I went.

VMSC 345
Harleysville 344
PennStar leaving the scene of an accident
EMT school turned out to be anything but easy. It was more than two nights per week: it included most weekends for those 7 months doing and learning things such as CPR, NIMS and HazMat protocols, 911 call center observation, scene size up, vehicle extrication classes, cribbing cars, breaking windows, learning PA State Protocols, and riding in the back of the ambulance (or bus) for up to 13 hours per day. The typical shift is 12 hours, but I would have to arrive early to check out the truck equipment and sometimes we got back from calls pretty late. 

Vehicle extrication day. Cribbing under the wheels.
CPR ... On a manekin
The textbook was over 1200 pages, and we were tested on ALL of it. I studied my ass off and passed every test with the highest grade in the class. I was very proud of that accomplishment, but it didn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. You quickly learn who has it and who doesn't during the practicals and skill review sessions. Having a team of seasoned medics and EMTs breathing down your neck and quizzing you while you are trying to recall everything you learned and treat your patient can be very stressful! Turns out EMT school has a high attrition rate. Some students simply don't like it, but some are asked to leave. Fortunately I passed, but not without a lot of blood, sweat, and tears....both from myself and from my patients.

My official patch. VERY proud of what this represents.
How does this relate to yoga? I'll get there, but let me give a little more background. My lower back started hurting me a lot during those months in EMT school. I was barely getting to the gym because I was putting all my energy into the EMT program. And I got no physical activity at my corporate job because I sat at a desk all day long. One November morning I was showering before work and bent over to shave a leg. All of a sudden...POP! Something in my low back made a popping sensation, and I felt intense pain and spasming wrapping around my pelvic girdle. The pain was acute: on a scale of 1-10, we are talking an 11. Unlike anything I ever felt before. I never really gave my 'pelvic girdle' much consideration before, aside from reading about it in anatomy class. But I can tell you when intense spasming, burning, and sharp pain wraps around it, you will know it's there. 

Pelvic girdle
Two nights later I ended up at my Primary because I couldn't stand or sit without significant pain. It was hard to even breathe! An awesome chiropractor, Dr. Chow, did some treatments over the next few months which took the edge off for a day or two at a time. But I continued with significant (chronic) pain until I finally decided to get an MRI and see a neurosurgeon 9 months later. Turns out, I have several bulging discs. 

Kind of like a jelly donut, but you want the jelly to stay inside the donut.
They won't ever be normal again, and there was no real explanation why they happened. Basically I'd have to learn to deal with them. Not quite the answer I wanted, but at least I had a diagnosis. The anti-inflammatories I was prescribed for the next 4 months made me feel a bit better and got me over a hump. But I was still left with daily back pain ranging from mild discomfort to debilitating. I spent many, many nights and weekends trying to rest it on the couch. I had the green light to do any physical activity I wanted, which was great. But I soon realized that my back would pay the price anywhere from a few days to a week if I did too much. And believe me, it didn't take much to qualify as 'too much.' 

So, if you're following me, the back pain started in 2009 and continued straight through 2010 and 2011. I was at a loss on how to get rid of it, or at least to get past it. Everything I did seemed to aggravate it to some degree. The bike position pulled on it too much. That meant days of pain. The pounding from running was too much. Bearing down to lift weights would torque it. Even standing in one spot for more than 10 minutes guaranteed a night on the couch. I had all but stopped working out. And without realizing it, I had started to walk slightly bent over to compensate for the discomfort/pain. Why wasn't my back behaving like I needed it to behave? What happened to all that fitness I had accumulated over the years? I am not that old. I don't have any other medical issues. It was so frustrating and so depressing, and I didn't know where to turn.








No comments:

Post a Comment