Friday, January 11, 2013

Right On Track

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there."


This has always been one of my favorite sayings. And this week I'm really happy to say I was on the right track, addressing both my mental and physical needs, and yet still moving forward. 

On Sunday I went for a two hour hike in Wissahickon Park with Marty. It was sunny outside and almost 50 degrees, which is rare in the beginning of January. He took me on some of the trails he rides, and up some great heart-pumping climbs. Now I can actually picture what he's talking about when he mentions riding in the meadow, up the steps, and passing the Indian. Other than some muddy trails and a minor chafing incident due to a wrong choice of pants, it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon. I loved every minute of it!






I also set out to take kickboxing two nights this week - and I did just that! I am a very good planner, but far too often something interrupts my plans...whether it's work, teaching, something I think will be more beneficial, more fun, or just being too tired or too lazy :(  But not this week. I made it to Sensei Tim's class, where I had a great workout and learned some new things. And last night was Ken's class - 25 attendees! - where I had a kick ass workout with some serious ab work.


On Wednesday night, Marty picked up my own personal kickboxing bag from Leisure Fitness. This is the real deal, folks. No cheap gimmicks here. It's a professional grade bag, just like the one I punch and kick at Maximum Impact Karate. Since it was a Christmas present that arrived a tad late, I was really excited to finally get it home and put together. Turns out that filling the base with sand is a tedious task because the hole in the base is so small. So I waited while Marty generously, patiently, and painstakingly poured 100+ lbs of sand for over an hour. 


My next task is figuring out some combinations and putting together a workout plan for the big guy. I can tap into my inner Rocky at home (ok, cheesy reference) when I need to get out some aggression or just burn some calories.  Good thing I've been paying attention to the experts in class! 

No comments:

Post a Comment